Western New York District Greenkeepers' Association
By Arthur Stephen
The first meeting of our association was held at Grover Cleveland Park, in Buffalo, in March 1928. That park is the old Buffalo Country Club. Twenty-eight members were present, and the following officers elected: President, Robert Henderson, Buffalo Country Club; vice-president, W.F. Radford, Niagara Falls Country Club; treasurer, Arthur Stephen, Grover Cleveland Park Golf Course; secretary, Al Schardt, Wanakah Country Club. The directors were: Frank Bulges, Niagara Falls Municipal Golf Course; A.W. Kroll, East Aurora Country Club; Custis Stallman, Durand Eastman Park Golf Course; James Connaughton, Monroe Country Club; William Philipson, Willowdale Country Club. Mr. Henderson remained president for three years, and is now a director; Mr. Schardt was secretary for three years, and is now president. The membership has increased to 34, consisting entirely of greenkeepers, from a territory extending from Buffalo to Rochester, Jamestown, Niagara Falls, and Welland, Ontario.
Our meetings are held monthly at the different golf courses represented in the association. The meetings are purely educational, consisting mostly in exchange of opinions and narration of experiences in greenkeeping. We held one meeting in 1930 jointly with the chairmen of green committees; this meeting was of great benefit, particularly in that it afforded an opportunity for the discussion of matters pertaining to the golf course budget. Another important meeting was held July 2 on the United States Golf Association Green Section demonstration turf garden located on the grounds of the Niagara Falls Municipal Golf Course. Mr. Depew, chairman of the United States Golf Association, Green Section and President of the Western New York Golf Association, which latter organization is financing the garden, spoke at the meeting and pointed out the values of the demonstration gardens in furthering cooperation between greenkeepers, green committees, and technical specialists. Mr. Welton, of the United States Golf Association Green Section, then explained the garden and pointed out results that were already apparent even though the garden was only a year old. The meeting was attended by over 40, composed mostly of greenkeepers, who showed keen interest in the results of the work on the garden.
We have not yet held a machinery demonstration but are planning on one for 1931.
The officers for 1930 were: President, Robert Henderson, Country Club of Buffalo; vice-president, Arthur Stephen, Erie Downs Country Club; treasurer; William Philipson, Willowdale Country Club; secretary, Al Schardt, Wanakah Country Club; directors, C. Stallman, Durand Eastman Park Golf Course; F. Nichols, Meadow Brook Club; W. T. Radford, Niagara Falls Country Club; James Connaughton, Monroe Golf Club.